That One Time When I Took Sleep Meds & Banana Bread Choc Chip Muffins
How come no one told me that if you take sleep medicine you will gain 10 pounds?
Okay backing up, how come no one told me taking sleep medicine will make me a ravenous beast who eats all day long after taking sleep meds.
Well the other night (Monday night), after I pulled my groin running in heels from an innocent deer, I was having a really hard time falling asleep because I absolutely couldnt get comfortable because that muscle was so sore. So Torrance kindly suggested I take some sleep medicine that he takes at times (he has the worst time sleeping). Mind you, this isnt the crazy strong sleep medicines either, not like Ambien or any of those. Something much more mild.
I dont remember much besides staring at my pillow and then waking up. I felt perfectly fine in the morning – not too groggy or anything. Until hunger struck. I had some oatmeal and banana for breakfast. Normal right? And then I had 2 mini ‘3 Muskateers’ candy bars. It was a little weird. But then I was still hungry, so I had a tangerine.
Then, when I went home mid-day to let Kona out, and make my usual lunch to bring back to the office – I had some fresh mozzarella on crackers. And a little banana chocolate chip muffin. I made lunch, which is funny because I made myself a J & PB. Apparently just talking about that yesterday reignited my desire for it and hopefully the uncraving is gone. Oh and I also had some more delicious frozen strawberries.
Then I contemplated eating cinnamon sugar pita chips but seriously decided I needed to tame this beast and STOP EATING! It was getting a little ridiculous.
“Seriously… Im so ashamed I cant even look at you right now” Then, for dinner we ended up going to Ruby Tuesday’s (again – we had a coupon that was expiring) and I had shrimp, mashed potatoes, and salad bar. Geeeeeez. That was the end of the eating. I was seriously done. and I plan to eat perfectly normal today.Let this go down in the history book of Andrea as the “week of life lessons” because I have now learned that you shouldnt take sleep medicine unless you want to be a ravenous beast and have a jiggly ass, and also take your heels off before you run away from a deer. Oh, I also learned why Torrance wakes up and eats an entire batch of cookies in the middle of the night! Mystery solved.
So today I am back to my normal eating habits, hallelujah. And sadly since we went to dinner I didnt make it to fitness class so I will be heading that way tonight for sure.
I went a little crazy with the cinnamon. And I better have some veggies at lunch today!
Here is the really moist banana muffin recipe I was able to salvage from the bad recipe I found. I promise, if you like banana bread you will love these, and in the convenience of muffin form!
Be warned, I found that after following the recipe I had a little batter left over (I didnt try to adjust the ingredient amounts to make less. Too much math! And a little extra never hurt anyone right?). So, you could do a few extra muffins if you want, or just say nay and dump it down the drain.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins
Yield: 12 standard sized muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line with papers. (I recommend greasing for this recipe, because I used papers and since the batter is so sticky, the finished product stuck to the paper a little).
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl mash bananas well (use a potato masher, or fork) and then add sugar, melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Cream together well (if you dont have a mixer, use a whisk and mix well)
- Fold in chocolate chips to banana mixture.
- Now add dry ingredients to banana mix and stir until just combined – do not over mix.
- Divide evenly among muffin cups. The batter does not rise a lot so fill em’ up almost full!
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Have you ever taken medicine to help you sleep?
Before this incident the only thing I have ever really taken was Tylenol PM or like cold meds that make you drowsy so you can sleep through the night.
- When was the last time you had a crazy day where you ate TONS?