Apple Cinnamon Cookies and I’m Unofficially Official
Monday. I am surprisingly awake and kickin this morning. Yay for Thanksgiving, short workweek, and family coming to town! The week hasnt even started and it is already proving to be better than last weeks…uh…misery (kidding!)
You didnt miss a lot around here this weekend, besides some fried apples yesterday. I have some shopping to do this week to pick up a few things for Torrance’s mom’s arrival. Sadly since our apartment is not really all the way put together I am lacking some of the basic things for a visitor… i.e. extra set of sheets!
Speaking of our empty apartment, I decided not to go get that kitchen table I saw last weekend. I am on a not spending money kick at the moment and since I didnt love it, I would rather wait until something I really like comes along and spend the money on that.
In fun blog related news, I’m really excited at the fact that I now feel unofficially official since I am listed on the database at healthylivingblogs.com! Though the website is just for fun and reference, it is still fun seeing my name out there!
There I am (at the bottom under Winston Salem)!
If you are unfamiliar with the site, a few amazing ladies started it a while back as a sort of database of the healthy living blogs out there, one of the best features of the site is that you can find blogs by location! I love this and have discovered a lot of new blogs there. I especially loved it when we first decided to move to NC because I wanted to learn a lot about NC and visiting blogs from the area allowed me to hear about fun stuff and see some awesome pictures!
Now, on to the more exciting stuff….food DUH.
Like I said yesterday, I have a recipe for you today!
These things are absolutely amazing. I actually found the base for this recipe from the lovely (and amazing baker!) Courtney who posted this recipe the other day! She included nuts and cranberries in hers as well. I’m not a big fan of nuts in my cookies so I edited it to leave those out. I also did not include any cranberries, but next time I make these I decided I am going to include some craisins!
Apple Cinnamon Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 14 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups finely sliced apples (unpeeled)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease cookie sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices (lightly mix together with fork). Set aside
- In a large bowl, cream softened butter and brown sugar. Once combined, beat in egg until well blended. Mix in half of the flour mixture and then stir in apples (and other add-ins you may have chosen). Add in milk and rest of flour mixture and blend again.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto greased cookie sheet and bake for 14 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit on cookie sheet for a few minutes and then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Prepare glaze by combining powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk and drizzle over cooled cookies.
The only issue I had with these was self error. I ordered a new cookie stone from Pampered Chef a few weeks ago and it had come in this week so I opted to use that. Unfortunately, since it was the first use the stone wasn’t oily yet and I had a hard time removing the cookies from the stone which resulted in the bottoms being scraped off and a very fragile cookie!
They tasted wonderful regardless, and I have learned my lesson about new cookie stones for next time.
Speaking of Pampered Chef, I also had gotten some measuring spoons from them and am absolutely loving them! I have a post in the works that will make an appearance soon that is dedicated to kitchen gadgets I am currently loving and those things are going on the list!
Ciao for now! I will leave you with this picture, because if you feel like you are having a bad day, it could always be worse….
This is a picture that a friend of mine posted on Facebook. It is a house in Alaska that froze (it was 40 below zero most of last week). If you look closely there is a good inch+ of solid ice covering the floor.
- What is the coldest weather/temps you have ever experienced?
Sadly, around 60 below.
- When you bake with apples, what type of apples do you use (Gala, Granny Smith, etc)