An Update On The “Foodie Cleanse”….(Oops, I ate cake)
I figured today, since it is my 5th day into my “eating cleanse” (make-over, detox, rules, whatever you want to call it!), I would share some of the food I have been enjoying and some thoughts thus far.
I will do another update sometime next week and then my final thoughts when it is done. Just for those of you who may be interesting in such things!
So…I mentioned, breakfasts have mostly been eggs, or oats with fruit. Today I will actually be enjoying a smoothie to switch it up a little.
And then for lunch I have been having things like this:
(sweet potato with salt and pepper with a spinach and romaine salad with shrimp, broccoli, corn, tomatoes, and cucumber with some balsamic)
Or yesterday, I had this:
(A wrap with chicken breast, corn, black beans, spinach, tomatoes,
and some Greek yogurt)
That wrap was a little iffy… I pushed the rules a little. I tried to find the most fibrous, whole grain, with protein wrap/tortilla I could find – but when it comes down to it it IS a processed carb.
For dinner the other night, I enjoyed this:
(steamed green beans with some balsamic, black beans, and chicken breast cooked with lemon, garlic, and fresh basil)
I know, anyone that knows me (or is a frequent reader) is probably shocked that all my food is touching in the above “beany” dinner. Sadly I was forced to cram it all on a salad plate because I didn’t feel like washing a normal sized one, I survived though.
Yesterday I pushed the limits a little, I wont lie. And I slipped up a little. But very surprisingly, yesterday was really the only day I have had issues (my self control is better than I thought)!
I had that wrap, which isnt that big of a deal. But we went out for Torrance’s birthday dinner. At the last minute he changed his mind from Ruby Tuesday to Red Lobster.
I’m not a fan of Red Lobster, but honestly I didn’t really care last night since A) it is whatever birthday boy desires, and B) I would be eating boring stuff anyway so I don’t think it really mattered where we went.
I actually did really good, I ordered a grilled scallop and shrimp entrée with rice and steamed broccoli. I asked for no butter on the shrimp. The rice was a “wild rice” mix so I ate about half of it. And surprisingly the scallops were some of the BEST I have had. Really, they were very good. I also enjoyed a glass of wine – shockingly, my first this week.
I did try out a stuffed mushroom (just one) from the appetizer that the guys ordered – which should have been off limits since it included lots of cheese and creaminess.
And then when we got home…. I had a couple bites of cake. Dammit, I couldn’t resist. If it were cake on a regular day I think I could have – but birthday cake?! Come on!
As far as differences/struggles/etc…. well here’s a little breakdown:
- I am still struggling with snacks a little bit – mostly fruit, a hard boiled egg, or Greek yogurt.
- I also think that I need to fuel up a little better before my workout, a carb and protein packed snack. I could feel the difference at training on Tuesday because I didn’t have my usual protein bar beforehand, so tonight before I go I will be sure to eat something a little more hearty as my afternoon snack (rather than just fruit).
- As far as differences, I do feel a little better but honestly I am wondering if that is a mental thing – just knowing that I am giving my body better food.
- I don’t really feel any noticeable difference in my energy level [yet]
- The biggest positive change I have to report is my…uh….digestive system seems to be functioning a little better (I’ll spare you those details for now).
- As for weight, since I know that will be a question some are wondering about, I have gone down about 4 pounds – which, like I have mentioned before, I fluctuate within the same 4 pounds almost daily it seems so anything over that I would consider success, though it has been consistently down everyday (rather than going up, going down, going back up, etc) throughout the last few days so that is probably a good sign too!
I’m sure further in I will have some more updates and changes for you guys!
Oh, and if you are wondering, for Torrance’s birthday present, we were kind of boring this year because he wanted to just order some stuff for his jet ski – but I’m a first believer in having something to open on your birthday so I got him a little bag that I put a note in that I scheduled him a massage at a nice little place down the road from us that we go to occasionally.
I have a ton going on at work today (or in the next couple weeks actually…) so I’m off to get things rolling! Have a great Thursday!
- Current favorite snack of yours?
- How often do you weigh yourself (if ever)?
Typically I would do once a week or once every two weeks but for the purpose of keeping track of any results and staying in tune with my body during this “cleanse” I am doing it daily.
- What is your favorite “chain” restaurant?