Amazing Zucchini Bread
Okay, I have a ton to write about, including how sore I am from two days of training in a row after taking a week (okay, and last month) off. But it feels good. My hamstrings are hating me right now though… so much kettle bell swinging.
Anyway, I figured the best thing to do for all of you is share an amazing zucchini bread recipe because it is like heaven….like little cute adorable puppies licking your face; like spending the day at the spa with free drinks all day long; or like a date with Ryan Gosling
Ha, jokes on you – I wouldn’t promise anything as good as that.
I mean geesh, the Goz?
Phew, okay sometimes I get carried away and distracted– sorry. (Not sorry for the visual of eating zucchini bread with Ryan Gosling though).
Anyway, point being – this bread is delish!
Of course I had to play around some with it and tried to make it a little healthier.
The key is no butter, and a minimal amount of oil. I was actually a little worried it was going to be on the dry side (I hate dry zucchini or banana bread!) but I assure you it is quite the opposite!
Also; I of course had to put chocolate in mine so that Torrance would eat some (eyes rolling). To make that “better,” I tried to use real chocolate and simply broke a leftover cocoa bar (that I had from when I made these) into tiny pieces using a chef’s knife.
Before I share the recipe – a quick note about the zucchini. I got a few questions about this when I shared the cake recipe; I do peel mine before I shred it – but you don’t have to! Most people shred theirs with the skin/peel on (which is why you see the pretty little green flakes in most people’s zucchini bread!). I do it simply out of my own preference.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Yield: 1 loaf (8 x 4 or 9 x 4 sized)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time:50 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup of shredded zucchini (equivalent to about 2 medium sized zucchinis)
- 4 oz unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup small chocolate chunks (you could also use mini chocolate chips!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Shred zucchini. (I always use the fine side of my cheese grater, but a food processor works well too!)
- In large bowl, mix (by hand is fine) zucchini, applesauce, oil, egg, vanilla, and sugar until combined well.
- Add remaining ingredients, except chocolate. Stir until completely combined and mostly smooth.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from pan after 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack or clean, smooth counter space to finish cooling!
I easily doubled the recipe to make an extra loaf to bring to work for my coworkers!
- Zucchini or banana bread?
- What do you prefer more – cooking or baking?
I like both… though I feel like I am more likely to mess up baking something!