Recipe Time – Quick Zesty Rice & Black Bean Skillet
I have a quick one for you today….
As in a quick post, and the recipe is quick too, duh!
It is kind of a mix between the Cheesy Chicken & Rice Bake and another recipe that I make sometimes….that I just realized I have never shared on the blog (what the…? that one will be coming soon too because it is awesome).
This one is really good because there is a “quick” shortcut way to do by using these three ingredients:
Also, a side note, this ends up being a little bit on the spicy side – due to the Ro-Tel tomato selection I chose to use. And we all know, I’m a wuss when it comes to spicy. I didnt think the lime juice and cilantro variety would be that spicy, but it was. It was still edible for me though so I guess it wasnt too spicy! (You can obviously adjust your level of spice preference accordingly).
Also, I used shrimp as my meat choice but it would obviously be fantastic with chicken as well!
Quick Zesty Rice & Black Bean Skillet
Prep/cook time: 15-20 minutes total
Yield: About 4 servings
- 1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined, (or 2 large chicken breasts, diced)
- Cooking spray or olive oil (for pan)
- taco seasoning (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into rounds and then cut in half
- 1 pouch of Uncle Ben’s Brown Ready Rice
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of Ro Tel – I used Lime juice & Cilantro blend but you could use other varieties
- 1/2 cup lowfat shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Heat small skillet over medium. Spray with a little cooking spray (or olive oil) and add meat. Sprinkle with taco seasoning. (For shrimp, depending on size, cook about 3 minutes per side until orange and cooked through). Set aside.
- Cook rice in microwave per instructions on packaging. Set aside
- Heat large skillet over medium. Spray with cooking spray (or olive oil) and add zucchini. Sautee zucchini until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add all of rice, drained and rinsed black beans, and Ro-Tel tomatoes (liquid and all). Let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle cheese over top and let melt – top with meat and serve!
I just love fast, healthy, and delish weeknight meals.
- Do you like spicy foods?
- Favorite type/style of bean? Black beans, green beans, kidney beans, refried beans, etc?
Definitely black beans or green beans! I have been on a major black bean kick lately though!